During IMS Ibiza held in May, IMS released its annual business report, which is deemed as the most valuable and reliable business report in the dance music industry. Here, we’ve selected 12 fun facts that reveal the developing trends of this field.
- Total global electronic music industry grew 3% from last year, now worth $7.4B USD
- Global top selling electronic music genres: 1 Techno, 2 Tech house, 3 House, 4 Deep house, 5 Drum & bass, 6 Trance, 7 Electronica, 8 Progressive house, 9 Future house, 10 Nu disco, 11 Electro house.
From the chart we can find that, Techno remains#1 genre on Beatport, slightly out selling Tech House; Trance resurgent in last 12 months–up four to #6; EDM genre Future House climbed to #9; Meanwhile, Electro House fell from #5 to #11 in just nine months.
- Only 17% of electronic music artists are female.
Thump study of 24 festivals in2016 found on average only17% of artists were women. Gender diversity remains a key issue.
4. Average age of DJ Mag Top 10 in 2007 was 36 years old. Today it’s 33 years old.
Average age of DJ Mag Top 10 is lower by 3years than in 2007 with half now younger than 30. The age for a DJ to get well-known is getting younger. DJs under 18 yet are sensational are not rare in China.
- Top 5 clubs 2017: 1 Space (Ibiza), 2 Fabric (UK), 3 Green Valley (Brazil), 4 Zouk (Singapore), 5 Octagon (S Korea)
The geographic make-up of Top 10 has remained largely unchanged: Spain leads the way (3 in 2008,4 in 2017), followed by UK (2, now1), 1 in Brazil, 1 in North America, remainder in Asia and Europe.
Space Ibiza will reopen as new club ‘Hi Ibiza’ in May 2017; Fabric was closed for 5months from September 2016to January 2017; Pacha Group was sold to Trilantic Capital Partners in February 2017.
- Tomorrowland had 50k people in 2008, and has 360k capacity in 2017; EDC Vegas had 65k in 2008, and has 400k capacity in 2017.
7. Since 2007 DJ Gear sales have grown at twice the rate of guitar sales in the USA.
Within DJ Gear, Digital DJ controllers account for a third of sales, followed by DJ Mixers and CD Players.
- There are now 25x more tracks available on Beatport than 10 years ago. Huge volumes of music are being created every day.
9. Earnings of Top 12 DJs fell 1% in 2016 to $300M USD – still 12% higher than 2013.
Forbes estimate Calvin Harris’ earnings fell 5% YoY in 2016 to $63m; Tiesto up to #2(earnings +6% YoY),David Guetta down to #3 (-24% YoY); DJs / Artists placed#4-12 in list earned4% more than 2015.
- The most popular DJs are growing their followers 11x faster on Instagram than on Facebook.
- Dance music scene is at the forefront of global technology trends, including virtual reality, artificial intelligence, and live streaming .
- Millennials are 40% more likely to attend a club event in the USA, and total 2 billion globally.
Overall 16% of people in the USA attended a club event with DJs in 2016, 14% for a specific DJ. Millennials attendance at these events was 39% higher than average.
There are estimated 75mMillennials in the USA, 2billion globally = 27% of population.
Special thanks to Kevin Watson of Danceconomics.com for putting together this IMS Business Report 2017.